Blog & Articles

Audiology and audiologists – do I need one?

Posted on 08 August, 2014 by Dr Chyrisse Heine

Audiologists are University graduates who have studied audiology usually at a postgraduate level. They also complete a supervised clinical internship. Most countries have an audiology society or association that monitor the work of audiologists, and provide them with a code of conduct. Audiologists are required to do continuing professional development throughout their career. Audiologists use a variety of tests to diagnose hearing loss and evaluate site-of-lesion. They also provide management and rehabilitation for those with hearing impairment. They work with children and adults, families and carers and advocate for those with hearing impairment.

Consult an audiologist if you suspect that you, your child or family member have a hearing loss or if your hearing changes and you require a review of your hearing or management schedule.

Charges and rebates will vary according to the country in which the audiologist works as well as between clinics, so check the price of the consultation first before booking your appointment. Be careful of comparing prices since audiologists vary in the tests and instruments they use to diagnose specific pathologies.